11 Mar 2012 - 1:47:35 PM
Lompoc Brewing seems to consist of two breweries, the first at New Old Lompoc, and the second at Lompoc 5th Quadrant, which is where we visited. They both brew pretty much the same stuff, but the first does most of the seasonals, and the second creates the supply for their distributor. Or something like that. What it means to me is that I only have to visit one to do an "offical" Lompoc Brewing post.
After a welcome walk from Breakside in the brisk sun, I was ready for either a late lunch or an early dinner along with the fine Lompoc ales. The portabello sandwich hit the spot. Robert and his wife rejoined the tour here, and he got a comprehensive taster tray to complement the various pints others had ordered.
- Centennial IPA - 6% - Malty start, lingering floral finish. Nice and drinkable.
- C-Note IPA - 6.9% - Really nice! Smooth maltiness and good strong floral/bitter/citrus hops. Slight sweetness, too.
- Proletariat Red - 6.2% - Good nutty maltiness, lingering hoppiness.
- LSD (Lompoc Strong Draft) - 6.9% - Alcohol aroma. Dry and smoky, sort of stout-like, but with slight alcohol flavor and bit of sweetness. Interesting.
- New Olde Ale - 7.5% - Smooth, well-balanced, touch of sweetness. Sort of amber-like, but nice. Very drinkable.
- Batch 69 Baltic Porter - 7.7% - Alcohol aroma. Smoky, chocolatey goodness. Yum!
- Jolly Bock - 7.2% - Really nice brown ale. No bocky sweetness.
- Fool's Golden Ale - 5% - Lemony, hoppy aroma. Light and somewhat sweet, crisp, slight breadiness.
- Sockeye Cream Stout - 4.9% - Pretty creamy, but somewhat watery, oddly enough. Not too flavorful.
- Oregon Special Bitter (OSB) - 4.2% - Some bitterness, some maltiness, but a little watery. Light.
Taster tray at Lompoc 5th Quadrant -- Portland, OR
At the end of the visit, I tried to buy a logo glass, but they had just run out of their selling stock, unfortunately. Should've pinched one of the glasses that had been on the table. Next time I'll know better than to try and be honest in my logo glassware acquisitions...