13 Oct 2010 - 10:53:31 AM
Scuttlebutt Brewing Company
Finally made it to Scuttlebutt Brewing. The original planned visit was at the end of the Bellingham to Everett bike ride, but it was a Sunday, and they were closed. Harumph! This time we biked around Camano Island and then down to Everett, on a Saturday. The atmosphere was pretty basic, but the beer was pretty good.
- Homeport Blonde - goes right down. Good light beer. 4.6%
- Amber Ale - subtle and very drinkable, with a nice little hoppy edge. 5.1%
- Porter - liked the chocolate/coffee flavors. That + self-described smokey aroma = "smocha". (Credit to Jonny for that terminology.) 5.8%
- Weizenbock (seasonal) - kinda like the Amber, with a higher alcohol kick to it. 8%
- Hefeweizen - typical but watery, could use a lemon wedge. 4.7%
- Sequoia Red (+ nitro) - also subtle, but this time not in such a great way. It's okay, but I'd take the Amber over this. The nitro pour was much smoother, but accentuated its flaws rather than its strengths, I thought. 5.2%
- Gale Force IPA - fairly nice, but something about it didn't quite jibe with me. A bit watery? Hmm. 5.3%
6 oz pours in the Scuttlebutt sampler -- Everett, WA
And that brings me up to date with the brewery posts. Yay! Guess I'll have to get out and hit some more soon.