15 Mar 2010 - 5:55:33 PM
2 out of 3 ain't bad
I ended up in Eugene, OR, for a day back in December and visited Steelhead Brewing and Ninkasi Brewing. While at Ninkasi I heard about a third place, Oakshire Brewing, but didn't have time to check it out. Next time, I guess.
Standard six shot taster tray here, but when the waitress set it down and rattled off the beers represented I was a bit disappointed that it didn't include their seasonal winter brew. She took pity on me and brought me a complimentary taste, bless her heart. Mmm, pity beer.
- Hairy Weasel Hefeweizen - crisp and refreshing, nice. Doesn't need the lemon, but aroma is pleasant.
- Raging Rhino Red - a subtle red. More of an amber with red tendencies. Liked it.
- Heat Miser - the winter brew. Basically a milder (except for alcohol content, maybe) Hopasaurus Rex. Tasty, though. Hint of peppermint.
- Barracuda Blonde - kinda light, kinda bland. Hint of out-of-place hoppiness.
- Bombay Bomber IPA - pretty good, but a bit heavier than I like.
- Hopasaurus Rex - yikes. Way too caramel-y. Sort of a light-colored hoppy winter beer.
- 12 Gauge Porter - okay. A little watery, but otherwise a standard porter.
Steelhead Brewing taster tray + 1
As it turned out, Ninkasi had just opened their new tasting room two or three weeks before I stumbled in, and they were pretty busy. So I guess Ninkasi is doing all right as a local brewery, which is nice to know because they have some great beer. Unfortunately they were out of Sleigh'R, their winter brew, but they said their very limited Sasquatch was winter-esque so I got a taste of that instead. Also, the IPA and Pale Ale tasters managed to get mixed up. I eventually figured out what happened a couple hours later, but those comments are made up of what I could salvage from my very confused tasting notes.
- Total Domination IPA - very citrusy, very crisp, very hoppy. Yum!
- Quantum Pale Ale - light and refreshing. Like it.
- Believer Double Red - tasty. Not as citrusy as TD, more balanced. Still has a good hoppy/citrus edge. Quite nice.
- Oatis Oatmeal Stout - really nice. Not as heavy as other stouts, but still has that stout flavor. Great balance.
- Sasquatch small batch amber - found out from another patron that this was made for a brewfest about ten months before. Last bit of it. Tasted more like a barley wine. Too bad I don't really like barley wines.
Ninkasi Brewing taster strip